We went to a costume shop in Colorado Springs, Colorado called Zeezo’s
Posts Tagged ‘colorado’
A week or so back, we went to #goldcamp road in the mountains to hang out. It give a great view of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Unfortunately, there is trash all over the place.
We decided to return and do a little cleaning.
Manitou Springs is among the top attraction in Colorado. It is a very beautiful place to see. It is filled with authentic shops, ice cream shops, restaurants and bed and breakfast hotels.
You will often see runners going up Barr Trail or hiking up the Incline early in the morning. Next to the trail you can see the Cog Rail, a trail that goes up Pikes Peak.
There are several options for Manitou bed and breakfast in the area for you to stay during your trip.
- Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast has a good rating in google reviews with an average room price of $130.00. The advantage of this bed and breakfast place is that it is very accessible and walking distance to all the unique shops and attractions of Manitou Springs. http://www.avenuehotelbandb.com/
- Red Crags bed and breakfast is a place full of antique stuff on it. The rooms look elegant but sadly do not have very good reviews from people that have stayed there. It is situated .3 miles away from the Garden of the Gods. Room prices ranges from $100.00- $200.00. http://www.redcrags.com/
- Bed and Breakfast at Historic Onaledge. Would you mind staying with ghosts? Well, hopefully they won’t appear during your stay. That is scary. Or maybe the ghosts are gone or perhaps they just made it up as a promotion to sell this b&b place. Onaledge is old but clean with good customer service. It is one of the top locations in Manitou Springs with a good tripadvisor review. It should be worth it. The rooms look very old fashioned. The room rate starts at $125.00. Their website is http://www.onaledge.net/
- Agate Hill is another bed and breakfast Inn and cottages in Colorado Springs Area. The rates are not available on their website but you can call them directly on their number 719-685-0685. You can contact them on their website at http://www.agatehill.com/ .
- Rockledge Country Inn has the most beautiful rooms among the other Manitou Springs rooms. Among all the places I have seen, Rockledge has the best location. It gives the most spectacular view of the mountains that really highlights the beautiful rock formation of Colorado. The rooms look spacious and pretty with excellent tripadvisor reviews. Room rates ranges from $125.00 – $250.00 http://www.rockledgeinn.com/guest-room-1.html
- Blue Skies Inn has a google review of 4.4 out of 5. It is a pretty good review for an Inn. Their website needs more development. Although the Blue Skies Inn is not modern they have excellent services that accommodate tourists and business travelers. Room prices range from $ 145.00 – $ 240.00. http://www.blueskiesinn.com/
There are plenty of bed and breakfast that you can find in Manitou Springs. You may even get a cheaper price in other places that are not listed here check out the online reviews to get an idea of what they have to offer.Other Places in Manitou:
The Cliff house at Pikes peak
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Hotel
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
Silver Saddle Motel
Pikes Peak Inn
Days Inn Manitou Springs
As we walked across the bridge the breeze hit us in the face and made the solid steal and wood supports sway. The magnificent height is like the scenes of a movie. With tall walls of rock embracing the white water Arkansa river below; it is an very beautiful place. Every angle is offers a photographic master piece. It is hard to believe that here was a fire that destroyed the area around the Royal Gorge Bridge. They have done an amazing job of restoring some of the services.
The ticket price for an adult costs $16.00USD. And when you get in
On the way to Royal Gorge, there are shops that offer all kinds of activities you and your family can do such as river rafting, zipline, kid’s train rides, small restaurants and souvenir shops. You will see very unique merchandise such as giant amethyst rocks. Unfortunately, these shops are not open on Sundays.
In 2013, the facilities and rides of Royal Gorge were destroyed by a wildfire.
Ninety percent of the park was gone with 48 out of 52 buildings and world class attractions destroyed on each side of the bridge. During this time, the Royal Gorge Bridge stood majestically above the rubble and was relatively unscathed except for approximately 100 boards that were scorched on the south side of the Bridge. — royalgorgebridge.com
As of 2015, they are still in the process of rebuilding some of the facilities. The new building includes a big cafe with huge deck over looking the gorge. The building also has a souvenir shop selling shirts, mugs, necklaces, stuffed toys and a few types of rocks. At the back of the building are benches where you can sit to relax.
Royal Gorge is Open at 10 o’clock in the morning and closes at 4pm, 5pm or 6pm. It changes according to month. Please see the guide.http://www.royalgorgebridge.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-62/ct-menu-item-64
Note: As you are driving towards Royal Gorge and while you are there, you may lose cell phone reception.
Denver museum free days
Here at DimeTravel we talk a lot about traveling for cheap. But nothing beats free!! If you happen to be in Colorado visiting you should know that Denver Museum of Nature and Science has free days!? Yes.
We have talked about The Denver Museum of Nature and Science on a few different articles about travel to Denver, Colorado.
The Denver Museum of Nature and Science is a great place for the whole family. The prices are reasonable for a pretty fulfilling time: 15USD for non-members and 12USD for members of the museum.
SCFD COMMUNITY FREE DAYS
The Scientific & Cultural Facilities District is a voter-approved special district in the seven-county metro area that provides a stable source of supplemental funding to more than 300 scientific and cultural organizations inside the district’s boundaries. The SCFD collects a one-tenth of 1 percent sales-and-use tax (or one penny on every $10 spent), providing approximately $40 million each year to area cultural attractions both small and large.
A fee still applies to IMAX films, Planetarium shows, and temporary exhibitions. Reservations and amenities (lunchroom, coat and lunch storage, bus drop off, etc.) for school groups are not available on SCFD Community Free Days.
2015 SCFD Community Free Days
Sunday, January 25
Monday, March 2
Sunday, April 12 (Earth Day)
Saturday, April 25 (Día del Niño)
Sunday, May 31
Monday, June 29
Sunday, July 26
Monday, August 17
Sunday, September 27
Monday, October 19
Monday, November 9
Here are a few Denver places to visit (that are worth your time)
During our trip to denver, my husband and I visited some beautiful places. Colorado Springs and Boulder are great, but Denver is the main hub of business in the state of Colorado with more restaurant options of things to do for tourists and locals alike. We have listed some tourist attractions that you might like.
- Denver Museum of Nature and ScienceDenver has a world class museum exhibiting some of the best that the natural sciences have to offer. From sea life to the solar system and going back billions of years to the formation of the Earth, you will not be disappointed. I was blown away by the 3D planet projection in the planetarium. The interactive exhibits about Mar geology and space exploration stole the show for most of the kids that walked in the building. If you are traveling to Denver with kids, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science is a MUST. The museum also has REAL Egyptian mummies, an exhaustive dinosaur wing and a stunning display of precious metals, gems and mineral deposits. It was an amazing experience overall and it is so worth it. You see a lot more than what you paid for. Admission fee is $12 per person. http://www.dmns.org/
- Denver Botanic Gardens.Denver Botanic Gardens has a variety of plants and a spectacular glass exhibit by the famous American sculptor, Dale Chihully (that ended last November 30, 2014). The botanic garden has plenty of species of plants but it is not so lively if you go during cold season. Some of the plants are dead or dormant in winter. It is best to go during summer. The garden is a popular attraction in Denver so expect a crowd on the weekends. The parking lot is tight so it will take time to get a parking spot. They also conduct special events such as weddings. Denver Botanic Gardens website prices of tickets is not updated as it says $12.50 (adults). Maybe it changes by season or if there are exhibits.Admission fee is $15.00 for adults. http://www.botanicgardens.org/
- Downtown Aquarium.
Denver downtown aquarium features an impressive array of sea creatures and habitats that will be pretty hard to find anywhere else in the Rocky Mountains. They also offer a dining experience where you eat a delicious meal while watching a mermaid show. Its fun and exciting to see! Food is expensive with very little options. Like the museums, the aquarium also gives military and senior discounts as well as free parking after 6 pm when you dine in the restaurant. Ticket price for adults (12-64) is $ 17.99, didn’t know a 12 yrs old is already an adult. lol!
- Elitch Gardens Theme Park.
If you are looking for thrills, then Elitch Gardens is the place to go. It’s great for families. It consists of 70 acres of land with all kinds of rides for small kids, teens and adults. Tickets ranges from $31.99/per person and above and can also be purchased online before the day of your adventure. Within the theme park you can expect to have decent dining, expensive shopping, concerts and special events. http://www.elitchgardens.com/plan-a-visit/tickets/
- Downtown bars.
Looking for a cool place to chill out and have a Colorado brewed beer? Go to downtown Denver at night. What was surprising to me is that there are marijuana stores around the area. Colorado has legalized weed so it is okay to sell it openly (with some controlled substance restrictions, of course). Its very common to see stores that look like pharmacies except with a green cross logo and bars on the windows. The most important thing I have learned is that my ID must be carried everywhere. We could not go inside the bar because I forgot my ID. Too bad but better luck next time 🙂
- Sports Authority Field at Mile High. If you are into sports then you might want to check out a football game.. American Football. Its huge in Denver. Sports Authority Field is home of the Denver Broncos. It is a giant stadium that can accommodate thousands of people for the event. Even if you are not into sports, its an amazing sight to see!
Denver is beautiful and there are many things to do. Whether you are visiting just to sight see, ride roller coasters, or go to a game and drink beer, there is really something for everyone. There are so many things we did not mention!
Colorado is internationally famous for the skiing/snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking and winter sports. For this reason Colorado vacation destinations are not only in the two biggest cities: Denver and Colorado Springs but also Aspen and the rocky mountains.
Aspen – “With four world-class mountains within the area, Aspen boasts the most diverse selection of terrain and on-snow experiences in Colorado. The best part is: A ski pass is valid at all four of our mountains!”
I remember being in Australia and receiving the obligatory question, “Where are you from in the US?”
My typical answer: “I am from California, but living in Colorado.” To which the young Aussie replied, “Oh, I love Colorado. I was on vacation there and lived in Aspen working at a sky resort.
Rocky Mountains – Colorado has the MOST 14,000+ foot mountains in the United States. It has a total of 53 mountains over 14,000 feet (4200 meter mountains)! For this reason, Colorado is a mountain climber paradise. Half the state is the “rockiest” part of the rocky mountains. It has the highest average elevation of any state.
Rocky Mountain National Park is located in Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park is ALL mountains with inspiring skylines, beautiful wildflowers, abundant with multiday backpack trips and climbing adventurers for every level of hiker.