If you are thinking of living in Colorado Springs, Colorado then here are a few fun facts you should know:
Tons of hiking places. People here are active and exercise often. The local government of Colorado Springs has also created tons of recreational parks for families and athletes to do their training or hiking. Bar trail is one of our favorites. The manitou incline and the red rock canyon are also great. Before you make a huge decision of relocating to Colorado Spring or or in any place around the United States, you should weigh the advantage and disadvantages of what you are about to do. Colorado is one of the most beautiful places I have seen in my life. It is so rich in natural attractions. Living in Colorado Springs is so pleasant. People are kinda conservative but mostly mind their own business.
courtesy of haolam.info/
Expect a higher crime rate on some areas. Colorado Springs is one of the largest city in Colorado so you can expect all the same conveniences and inconveniences of a medium sized city. There are a few places with higher crime rate because of its bigger and growing population. However, compared to some other parts of the US, the crime is pretty low.
courtesy of saddletreehomes.com
The housing is another thing you have to check for. I noticed the house prices are fluctuating a lot. It was continuously dropping on months of february-april 2015. Military workers were moving to other places and selling their properties. This place is a hot area of buying a house. Any time of the year is ideal. You can also check it’s neighboring towns with a smaller population like Fountain. The interest rates are dropping drastically as people are moving in and out of the city.
courtesy of forbes.com
There are jobs available in the area. There are 5 bases around town. Most of the jobs that will be available here are associated with the military. There are also some companies operating in Colorado Springs but the overall population of people’s jobs here are working in the military.
Lower Tax is also attractive. Colorado Springs tax charge only 7.63 %. It is way lower comparing to other places like LA which is 16 %. I found out the price difference are HUGE between Coloradod and California as we were booking a hotel in in places like Hollywood and tickets for LA.
Colorado Springs has a variety of food and restaurants. The variety is definitely not as good as some larger cities in other states. For example, there is an Asian market really only one and it is a 20 minute drive from the place we live. I always look for the filipino store. There is one in Colorado Springs, but it is pretty small. For filipino stores are even fewer. Generally, when it comes to food and restaurants, there are not much availability here.
Colorado Springs is a great place to raise a family. There are many areas that are very peaceful and it is great if you love nature.
Manitou Springs is among the top attraction in Colorado. It is a very beautiful place to see. It is filled with authentic shops, ice cream shops, restaurants and bed and breakfast hotels.
You will often see runners going up Barr Trail or hiking up the Incline early in the morning. Next to the trail you can see the Cog Rail, a trail that goes up Pikes Peak.
There are several options for Manitou bed and breakfast in the area for you to stay during your trip.
- Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast has a good rating in google reviews with an average room price of $130.00. The advantage of this bed and breakfast place is that it is very accessible and walking distance to all the unique shops and attractions of Manitou Springs. http://www.avenuehotelbandb.com/
- Red Crags bed and breakfast is a place full of antique stuff on it. The rooms look elegant but sadly do not have very good reviews from people that have stayed there. It is situated .3 miles away from the Garden of the Gods. Room prices ranges from $100.00- $200.00. http://www.redcrags.com/
- Bed and Breakfast at Historic Onaledge. Would you mind staying with ghosts? Well, hopefully they won’t appear during your stay. That is scary. Or maybe the ghosts are gone or perhaps they just made it up as a promotion to sell this b&b place. Onaledge is old but clean with good customer service. It is one of the top locations in Manitou Springs with a good tripadvisor review. It should be worth it. The rooms look very old fashioned. The room rate starts at $125.00. Their website is http://www.onaledge.net/
- Agate Hill is another bed and breakfast Inn and cottages in Colorado Springs Area. The rates are not available on their website but you can call them directly on their number 719-685-0685. You can contact them on their website at http://www.agatehill.com/ .
- Rockledge Country Inn has the most beautiful rooms among the other Manitou Springs rooms. Among all the places I have seen, Rockledge has the best location. It gives the most spectacular view of the mountains that really highlights the beautiful rock formation of Colorado. The rooms look spacious and pretty with excellent tripadvisor reviews. Room rates ranges from $125.00 – $250.00 http://www.rockledgeinn.com/guest-room-1.html
- Blue Skies Inn has a google review of 4.4 out of 5. It is a pretty good review for an Inn. Their website needs more development. Although the Blue Skies Inn is not modern they have excellent services that accommodate tourists and business travelers. Room prices range from $ 145.00 – $ 240.00. http://www.blueskiesinn.com/
There are plenty of bed and breakfast that you can find in Manitou Springs. You may even get a cheaper price in other places that are not listed here check out the online reviews to get an idea of what they have to offer.
Other Places in Manitou:
The Cliff house at Pikes peak
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Hotel
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
Silver Saddle Motel
Pikes Peak Inn
Days Inn Manitou Springs
Hiking in Colorado Springs is one of the most popular past times among locals. Here are some pointers, tips and advice for first time travelers wanting to hike “the Springs”.
Basic Rules of the Trail
The common rule when hiking is to stay on the trail. This is not only for your own safety. It is also to avoid disturbing the natural habitat of the trail. Pets are popular companions but you need to keep them on a leash. Some owners with very well behaved people friendly dogs tend to let their dog loose. It is common courtesy to pick up after your dog if they poop on the trail. Another in said rule of the trail is to move out of the way for runners and bikers.
Activities and Local of the Springs
There are lots of activities in Colorado Springs that the locals and tourists can do. I have noticed that people here are health conscious. This is due to the high number of military people in the Springs. There are 5 bases in Colorado mostly Army and Air Force and they have to stay fit. Many people that live here are working for the military.
A Few Hiking Trails in Colorado Springs
List of Colorado Springs hiking trails/colorado parks that also allow pets to walk around.
Garden of the Gods is one of the most beautiful attraction in Colorado Springs. It is also a local destination for hiking with families and pets. It is a hot spot for bikers and climbers. Garden of the gods is a habitat to many animal and has a total land area of 1,319.1 acres.
Red Rock Canyon Open Space is located at 3550 W High St, Colorado Springs, CO 80904. It has tons of trails that hikers can go to. Pets also have their own trail for them to run around without being on leash. I think that part is cool because they can roam around in their own trail.
Barr Trail is an amazing hiking trail. It is goes up an Pikes Peak mountain which you can run or hike for miles. It is also connected to the Incline. Barr trail is the same trail that people use in going down after the Incline climb.
Manitou Springs Incline – is a tough work out going up for 1 mile. It is a rough exercise for the body. Those who are not so fit may need to prepare for this one. Your joints will probably hurt a lot if you are not use to a hard exercise. A perfect time to hike there would be 5:00 – 6:00 in the morning when the sun is still rising.
Rock Island Trail – coming soon
Bear Creek Canon Park – coming soon