Travel Warning for Mexico reissued after US citizen killed
The U.S. Consulate General in Nogales, Mexico, on Tuesday reissued an emergency message cautioning Americans with travel plans to Nogales and surrounding areas.
Citing “multiple and ongoing credible threats,” the consulate asked citizens to put off any unnecessary travel.
The public caution was issued by the Consulate on May 25, a day before an American citizen from Tucson was murdered in Nogales.
Spokeswoman Pooja Jhunjhunwala said the U.S. State Department was aware of the death of an American citizen in Mexico over the weekend and said officials are working with Mexican authorities on the case. Mexican media have identified the man as Jorge Luis Soto, 25, of Tucson.
Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada, whose county in Arizona borders with Mexico, said violence has escalated in the Mexican Nogales since last week.
According to azfamily Mexico travel warning news, Jorge Luis Soto is one of the five people murdered in the violent weekend in Nogales.