What is the Grand Canyon?
The Grand Canyon is in Arizona, United States of America. It is managed by Grand Canyon National Park, the Navajo Nation, and two other tribal nations. It is 446 kilometer (277 miles) long and about 29 kilometers (18 miles) wide.
We are planning to go to the Grand Canyon in summer 2015. I think it will be pretty cool. We will probably drive there from our home in Colorado. According to Google Maps, the Grand Canyon is a 9 hour drive on US-160W.
We are looking at a budget of about $400 for the whole trip:
Gas: $125 (depending on prices at that time)
Entrance fee: $12/person
Entrance Fee Free Days this year:
- January 19 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
- February 14-16 (Presidents Day Weekend)
- April 18-19 (Opening weekend of National Park Week)
- August 25 (National Park Service Birthday)
- September 26 (National Public Lands Day)
- November 11 (Veterans Day)
We will probably stay at the Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon Grand Canyon Village in Arizona for one night and drive back home early the next day. We will probably check out the Canyon Star Restaurant. We are not the kind of travelers that go to another place just to eat at McDonalds.